Monday, December 08, 2014

Christmas Spirit

There's a song in the air
There's a star in the sky

Forget all of the hustle and bustle of the season. All of my thoughts lean toward a grungy stable, with average appearing, unlikely people, and a tiny Baby. 

We have beautiful stained glass depictions of the story in our church and when I spotted the Stained Glass Nativity stamps, I knew I wanted to recreate the idea of those windows. 



I first made the mottled blue background paper using distress inks. I simply streaked a bit of the blue and a (now discontinued) whitewash color. Then dried that with a heat tool. I stamped my image with ink and embossed the image with Copper Kettle Embossing Enamel. 

Now for the fun part. I used NO Embossing adhesive and covered the entire image with Bahama Aqua Embossing Powder, then dumped that back in the jar. This leaves a wonderful shimmery patina on the blue background. Now carefully dab the Embossing Powder Adhesive all over the image (does not matter if you go over the lines), trying not to remove the shimmer. Cover with UltraThick Clear Embossing Powder. Take a toothpick and trace the Copper Embossed lines, removing a fair amount of the Clear Powder from the lines. Emboss again. This gives a texture very similar to stained glass. 

Fussy cut the "window" image and, using Super Sticky Tape, adhere it to the card base. 

Beautiful - Elegant - Understated - Christmas. 




No comments: