Friday, December 13, 2013

tell me the stories ....


We make nativities. 
The current ones get lots of road miles.
He cuts and sands.
I trace.
He wood burns.
I paint.
He stains. 
We sell. But honestly, the ones we give to our littles are the ones that mean the most to me. 

The story of the first one I made is at the link. 


We gifted this little one with a set this year. 
She spread it out and Dad sent us this picture.
Cute. 

My hope is that she will play and really learn the story. 
Then teach it to her little brother. 
And so forth and so on. 
Much like my girls did. 

(at the end of this post is a fabulous active way to use this for advent devotions)




Then I get this picture via text. 

"Rebecca said this is "Jofus" I said you mean 
Joseph...."nope, Jofus" "

How cute - and if she is playing with it, there will be learning occuring.



Merry Christmas.

************************************

I cannot take credit for this idea, but it is a wonderful one. 

A friend of mine uses their wood block nativity along with some other props for their Advent readings. 

The various figures are placed around the house with the numbered envelopes.
Each night the search out the correct envelope and have the devotional. 
For instance 
Night one - the angel comes to Mary.
Night two - The angel comes to "Jofus" 
Night three - Joseph and Mary together read the scroll. 

All the while the empty manger sits on the table by the tree. 

For the twenty five days leading up to Christmas. The story unfolds and the characters in the story slowly make the trip through the house to Bethlehem. 

On Christmas Eve, Baby Jesus appears in the manger. 
On Christmas Day - before the gift frenzy begins - the Wise Men bring their gifts to the new Baby. 

A beautiful tradition for the kids. 

If you choose to adapt this idea for your Christmas, please leave a comment here, I would love to hear your stories. 

Much love and a Very Merry Christmas to all of you. 

No comments: