Wednesday, June 05, 2013

a sweet sweet visitor



She saw me sitting in my porch swing.

I had Keith Urban playing on a big ol' boom box. (Sorry girls - no mp3 player for this mama.) I was singing and just relaxing and stitching on angel wings.

It was a beautiful spring afternoon. Not too much humidity. Late - with the sun shaded by the fully leafed out canopy of the oak tree. NICE.

As she walked across my yard, I turned down the music and greeted her. She asked if it would be an imposition if she joined me for a bit. I welcomed her with open arms - offered her a glass of something to drink - she said no thanks - I'll only be a minute.

Two women --- with 40 years of age difference. 'Cross the street neighbors. Good neighbors --- really. We bought this house from them some 20+ years ago. The house - no THE HOME - he grew up in.  A young couple - small child -- another soon added. They were older -- she his second wife -- kids grown and gone. He would cut our grass on occasion because "he remembered how busy life was with the kids." She cooked. They shared their garden bounty. Good neighbors.

We were away on a softball trip when he passed away. His health declined rapidly over what seemed like a short period of time.

As she sat down on my glider, she smiled. A sweet, beautiful smile of remembering. She started with the phrase "I get so lonesome"  - and continued with "I'll only stay a few minutes"

Two women --- 40 years of age difference.  40 years that did not matter.

I listened while she talked ---

About meeting him after his wife died.

About falling for him.

About driving her mama nuts with her indecision on accepting his proposal.

About an old boyfriend's suicide attempt.

About marrying him.

About an instant family and loving his girls as her own.

About creating home.

About his momma - Miss Myrt - the home I now live in is still called Miss Myrt's house.

About her daughter finding Miss Mrty when she died.

About his health declining.

About being alone after all this time.

She was there almost two hours. It was wonderful. It was special.

Two women -- sharing - loving - accepting - listening.

As she got ready to go - I didn't want her to leave.

She said something in the conversation that warmed me through. "this felt like all those years we visited on this porch."

YES -- I LIVE IN THE COUNTRY. I HAVE A BIG FRONT PORCH. I HAVE GREAT NEIGHBORS. I HAVE A SWING AND CHAIRS AND I WANT A TABLE. I WANT FRIENDS TO SIT THERE AND SHARE. LAUGH. LOVE. MAYBE CRY. I WANT MY HOME TO BE WELCOMING. NOT BECAUSE IT IS PERFECT. NOT BECAUSE IT IS FANCY. NOT BECAUSE IT IS ALWAYS CLEAN. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW THAT THEY ARE WELCOME AND THAT ALL THAT OTHER IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS THE TIME SPENT WITH THEM IS.

I WANT MY HOME TO BE FILLED WITH FRIENDS WHO WILL JUST DROP BY AND "SIT A SPELL"

 Not just us, but as a culture people don't take the time to just visit. Or they combine visiting with "filler" activity. Eating out, shopping, a party, a movie, let's go somewhere. Goodness we need to slow down some.

As a part of my HAPPY DO YEAR - I'm gonna try and see if I spot my neighbor out in the yard, just so I can stop for a quick visit. Or yell across the road to join me and sit a spell on my porch again.

I so enjoyed that time ---

So if any of my readers happen by that there front porch --- come on up the steps. If I'm inside, come on in. Have no idea what conditions you may find, there may be dishes in the sink or I may have to relocate some laundry so you will have a seat. But hey, those dishes and that laundry can wait a little longer. You are far more important than that.







No comments: