Monday, April 22, 2013

His eye is on the sparrow ---





She was beautiful ----

Ebony skin.
A tiny bit of a foreign accent when she spoke.
Bright white dress.
A young woman originally from the Ivory Coast and a part of the group who came to sing at my church.
Stepping to the front of the Sanctuary, she gently cupped her hands and began. A capella (without music).

The first few words to His Eye Is On The Sparrow, those beautiful words, send chills over me.

Suddenly - you could see that this was not a performance for her. Hands cupped, you could almost picture the tiny bird being held gently. An image of trust and worship in the words she sang. The young lady was worshiping God with her entire being.

It was one of those moments. Where chills run all over. And you know that what you feel truly is the presence of God.

It moved me. In ways I still don't have the words to express. Other than to say that the young lady opened herself to be the full on vessel for God to touch many people in the congregation.

Then something else happened.

I sit with David and Melissa most Sundays.( Melissa was one of the first I called when I found out I had cancer for the second time.) Wonderful friends who welcome this often alone "third wheel" to join them in the pew.

As the young lady sang, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw David reach in his pocket and hand Melissa a tissue. To my knowledge she didn't ask for it. He was simply aware of a very practical need for the tissue and provided it for her.

That moved me too. In a way that do I know how to express. That seemingly insignificant gesture was a huge display of his love for her.  Of being aware of her in a deep and wonderfully adoring way. In a way that says "I love you" and I am focused on making you my priority. I hoped she wasn't struggling with any specific problem that caused the tears. But I also know that if at all possible, David will be right there to handle the tears if needed.

That --  my friends was one of the most beautiful demonstrations of love I have witnessed. A tiny little action. Caught out of the corner of my eye.

My friends, I am so very happy for her. She is one of my best friends and I am want her to be cared for and loved like that here on earth.

Actually, I am very happy for me too. God allowed me to see beauty and love in that action. I saw the song demonstrated in a very real manner.

"His eye is on the sparrow
and I know he watches me"

Bet I shed tears the next time I hear it.






No comments: