Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Reality Bites???


I am a woman of a certain age.

My Oldest Daughter is 22 today.

That makes her older than me.

Just Kidding.

I was twenty five when she was born - you can do that math.

In the twenty two years I have gained and lost about 3000 pounds.

I have had bright red (I'm talking coke can red)  "spiked" hair. Blonde hair. Dark hair.

I've tanned and then become a "serious white chick"

I've survived cancer twice.

I've made mistakes as her mother -- well, as her sister's mother too.

And as a matter of fact --- the accessories below are now a NECESSARY item in my life.


Those are reading glasses --- I keep a pair on my desk at work. On the table by my chair at home. In my purse. In the console of my car. I am not ashamed of the fact that I need them. My life is full. I do not want to miss a thing. And if that means I need these to help me see - then so freaking be it.

But Just so everyone knows --- I try to buy the cute ones.

I may be old, but I still have a personality.

Now go here to see some of the pictures of me before I started boot camp. I am still going. It makes me feel better about me. I am still overweight and struggling to lose some more.

The fact that I lost a major organ and my adrenal gland to cancer is contributing to the weight issue.

But I still go and I work out ---- I work out HARD --- in the heat and the rain and the southern humidity. I sweat and I complain and yet, honestly, I cannot wait to go back the next time.
Note - the picture below was taken almost a year ago.

I felt healthy then too.



The picture below is from the color run this spring --- yes I am now considering myself a runner. Why --- because I get out there 4 days a week and shuffle my feet and cover a distance instead of sitting on my sofa and watching biggest loser and thinking "you know, I could do some of that."




I worked out Monday evening --- I came home and caught a glimpse of me in the mirror. For the first time since I can remember, the reflection of who I am was REAL, it was POWERFUL, it didn't SCARE me. I mused at that moment -- damn, you grew up ok.

So here is that moment --- no make up --- no fussing to fix my hair --- lots of grey shining in my natural red tones --- freckles --- crinkles around my blue eyes --- a bit of extra chin --- a tiny little smirk. This is me. I am strong. I am healthy. I am capable. I am worthy. I am lovable. A dammit I've lived fully and I am gonna keep doing just that.

Reading glasses and all.





Have a wonderful Wednesday

No comments: