Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Bits and Bobs

My friend Becky was surprised at the amount of stuff in my stash. It is all fairly organized in MaggieGraceWorld. But most of it is small stuff. Also my interests are varied. Fiber. Paper. Buttons. Fabric. Beads. Stamps.

Random Ephemera - sounds better when you apply the big words to it.

4 People played in my ephemera on Saturday - yet there was very little impact on the stash. That's because the stash level is wide and deep.

My piece was an assemblage piece - taking some inspiration from Sarah Lugg's work - a little bit of Rebecca Sower - and the available materials from the studio.

This was a massive destash project and there needs to be a lot more. And last night I committed to do one toward the end of summer / early fall. (Maybe we can work outside on my front porch) We will make cards. Maybe 10 for each participant.

I'll be making announcements later in the year - and maybe some more of you close to Athens folks can come play.

Anyway - here are some elements of my piece.

First I stapled linen from the stash around my canvas. Then I started with the little bits.



On the left - A punch from a library date ticket - a button (not vintage, i cut it off a skirt before i tossed it) - an old diary key. Just visible on the right a tag punched straight from a print sample book and a fake rusty bit made from the peel off part of a wine bottle top.



On the left - a punch out from sheet music - a vintage button tied with a bit of floss. To the right a stamped and embossed piece that I sprayed with Glimmer Mist (more of that product in my future.)

Left - stamped and embossed birds and a scrap of linen selvedge - leaves punched from music and wall paper scraps.



Left - another stamped embossed and glimmer mist tag - Right - feathers and a vintage button.




Center - vintage text - a key looking thing punched from a carnival ticket - a rusted bit I picked up in the parking lot at work. Right - thread from an old sewing kit - a needle threader - some eye hooks.





Center - Floral bits from the clearance bridal section at Hancock Fabrics I tied with ravelled bits off the linen backing - the center of the library date stamp from the top picture



Left stamped and embossed circles - a brass bit glued down and part of an old earring attached.



Affirmations rolled from an old water damaged hymnal - beads from Mama Norvan's bead box.




Stamped and embossed Love - a distressed key tag - a cancelled cupid stamp - flower soft edging (more of that product in the future too) and a brad.

And finally ..........


My assembled piece. The little red strip down the side is a sliver of scrapbook paper. The entire thing was a little off centered and that added just a bit of balance. I'll be framing this to hang with the alphabet piece over my mantle.
I have a favorite little collage tag on this -- do you??????
Have a wonderful day.

No comments: