Tuesday, November 03, 2009

A work box

I get a ton of comments about how much I get done. Both here and in conversations everyday. I have repeatedly posted about how I work a lot "on the go"

Places I have crafted other than at home or in my studio -- softball games, volleyball games, basketball games, soccer games, all those locations between games, restaurants, bookstores, the car, planes, at a picnic table, the beach, the lake, the drs office, the hospital, waiting in the drive through line, my desk at work. Yes, guilty of crafting at my desk.

See we run a small operation. Someone has to answer the phone and that someone is pretty much "chained" to the phone. It varies at times who the someone is, but more often than not, it is me.

Dring the slow times, there is little going on work wise in the showroom. I do paperwork, wait the counter, purchase materials, follow up on jobs, etc. But many times I find myself doing what my Mama calls "twiddling my thumbs". (Tipper is that one of those grannyisms?) The guys read gun magazines or sport magazines in those slow moments. Me - I whip out a survival kit.



Today the kit looks like this. Nothing fancy. A cardboard box and a few supplies. Button fairies in the making. I threw it all in a bag last night when I started breaking wire and knew it was time to stop what I was doing before I really screwed up. I knew what I needed this time because I had made several already. When UPS came, there was a package in this sturdy box and I grabbed it to use. Dump and BINGO - ready to work and easy to close up and go back to grown up job stuff.

Most of the productivity I can boast about is accomplished in just this way. I love my studio. I use my studio a fair amount. As the girls are gone more and more and I am finding more time I use the studio even more. But I do not see me ever letting go of the flexiblity and ease of carrying a "survival kit" with me.

How about you? How do you squeeze in a few creative moments for yourself?

2 comments:

tipper said...

I don't know if it's a grannyism or not-but I've been known to tweedle my thumbs on occasion : )

I mostly take along a book to feel in those times when I'm waiting. Since I paint-it's kinda hard to take that along. I love your kit!

ellen said...

You do get a lot of things done and they are lovely.