Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Birds of a feather - another paper project

Another shared item. This one is made using a modified woodworking pattern that I found in an old (late 70's ish) magazine.

Assembling the wing is a tiny bit tedious, but well worth it in the end.

The links to the pdf templates are at the bottom of this post.
****************************************************************************

Assemble your goodies - template on cardstock or light cardboard. (an empty cereal box works wonderfully. )

Assorted papers -cardstock weight (glue lighter papers to cardstock)

Scissors

Glue

Embellishments if you choose.

Instructions are for a one sided bird - you seasoned crafters can make her two sided if you choose (simply reverse the wing templates for the other side.) I'll be nestling mine in the tree so one sided works for me here.


Process is simple (most of my creations are simple, works better for my brain)

Cut a wing base from cardstock (won't be seen so anything works here) - for the first one you may want to transfer those placement markings to the working base.


Cut your other parts from pretty papers.
Assemble the wing in this order - feather 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 . I used glue dots.
Add the midwing on top of those feathers


Add the top wing - covering all of the base cardstock. If anything shows through that you think needs to go - trim it. This is not rocket science.


Position on bird body using photo as a guide. Add tail feather the same way.


Yes - all of you observant folks - I trimmed my wing even more after I put it together. I had some words on my music that I wanted to show and the wing looked better trimmed. (again people - this ain't rocket science.)


I simply colored my eye on, but you could use a bead, brad, button.


Nestle your new beauty in a tree. Add her to a package. Add magnets to the back and stick her to the fridge. Hang her from a garland. Enjoy.

Note - to get the templates for this pattern go here for the wings and here for the body.


I am enjoying making these tutorials for you guys. I do hope you are enjoying access to them. Nothing in this series of twelve how-to postings will be beyond the very basics, but I am betting you serious crafters will be adding and embellishing and generally blinging out some of this stuff. Please share photos if you do. Comments are welcome and so very appreciated too.


You are also welcome to share my information and links with anyone, but please be courteous about all that (you know what I mean) and give credit where appropriate.


Above all - recognize that you have a beautiful life. Tell someone that you love them. Smile at a stranger - that person may become your next friend. Be thankful for even the tiniest of blessings.


I love you all and YES - I have a beautiful life.

No comments: