Thursday, September 03, 2009

Day three - and a midlife crisis announcement

I got an email asking for a picture of the studio exterior. Now for you ladies who crave your own space, think outside the box. This building was open to critters. It literally was a barn. I have done nothing to change the exterior character. And it was HARD WORK putting it into shape for a sudio. I fight spiders and other little critters constantly. I have not seen Mr Black Snake in a long long time - a good sign that the critters he would eat are gone too. The step at the door is a slab of granite that used to be part of a set of steps on the house. We did away with that porch and kept the slabs of granite. The light by the door is a solar light from Big Lots and puts out just enough light to keep me from breaking my fool neck when I come in late at night. The chunk of wood on the ground below the flag is waiting to find out where it is going to live. And the shutter in the right hand corner is scavenged and has hung on my kitchen porch for years.

All this to say - I love having my own space.


The next phase of the studio renovation is to make that shed to the right a covered lounge area. I'm patient - it will take time and WORK but when I get it finished it will be great.

I spent a LONG LONG time working in the studio last night. - I cut papers for altered composition books. (College Girl came in and begged for one - just how am I going to build inventory when she keeps taking stuff.) These fall colors are just my speed.

I glued the leave punches to the tags -- love how these turned out. I also have a maple leaf shape - more of these to come. I spend a ton of time digging out cream colored paper to make a bunch of these.


Does anyone else get that giddy feeling when you put something together and you realize it just "sings"? These are so simple in their appearance and I adore that.


I also completed one of the Halloween cards. More of these tonight.


Does anyone have items I can look for in my stash for you?


NOW MIDLIFE CRISIS ALERT (MCA).


I have always said I would plan my midlife crisis. Well here ya go. In addition to planning my own, I have recruited an accomplice - actually make that plural.


Margaret convinced me to start boot camp. Thank you my wonderful friend. As I am becoming stronger and have more stamina, I am remembering how a "fit" person spends time. It is not watching TV. I am out and about doing physical things. It is fun.


I saw an article about a place in Southern Living magazine. I mentioned it to Margaret. She looked at the website and shared it with her daughter Elizabeth. Elizabeth talked to the Softball Princess. (the girls are the same age and play softball together for the high school) Now it's a girls trip. No boys allowed. I am glad the girls want to play too.


We are going for a weekend trip to the Len Foote Hike Inn. A no vehicle access lodge in the Amicalola Falls State Park - an easy to moderate 5 mile hike into the inn carrying your personal items - spend the night and hike back out. Now I have a goal - a something to do.


Upon hearing this Midlife Crisis Announcement (MCA), Local Best Friend literally laughed out loud. Yes, he hurt my feelings. But then he decided it did sound like something we would do.


Seems the beginning of my midlife crisis involves getting healthy.

Aerial view picture of the lodge stolen from here.


I have a beautiful life.


I know I said I would post a list for the art show - well that list is at home in the studio - get it tomorrow - sorry.


Have a wonderful day.

2 comments:

Very Mary said...

Frankly, I LOVE the outside of it! It's so charming and secret!

Carrie said...

Wow! I love your MLC! That inn looks really neat. I'm going to have to remember it. I'd love to take little bit there when she's big enough.

Have you thought about making themed picture framed collages? for the booth, you know, -insert your picture here- stuff? Just an idea. I love the way you put things together.