Thursday, July 09, 2009

Sweet 16 .....

There was not supposed to be a second child. I had complications with the College Girl and was advised not to repeat that whole pregnancy process. But God has a wonderful sense of humour. One birth control pill - not missed just taken 8 hours later than normal - one night of drinking - and wow - tequila causes babies. I was 3 months pregnant before I really knew - call it denial. I just remember coming out of the bathroom holding that test and saying over and over "its pink".

Well - Softball Princess was a surprise - a happy accident.

She also got here fast - really fast - 42 minutes fast. Labor induction - was most of the morning - but from the first "real" contraction to holding her in my arms - 42 minutes. My lovely inlaws missed it - they tried to be there - but they ran to grab lunch and she made this arrival while they were gone - I'm just glad they didn't talk Daddy into going to lunch with them.

I say all the time "she got here fast and hasn't slowed down since."

She also continues to surprise us every day.

In honor of Softball Princess Sweet 16th Birthday - here are 16 things for her.

1. You were never afraid to try anything. Climb a ladder as a toddler. Color John and Maria's wall purple. You always wanted to go higher and faster than everyone else. Honey - keep reaching - be the best you can - always be open to trying new things - you never know what or who you are going to love.

2. The picture above was taken during one of your Mom's stupid moments. Molly was 3 you were in a stroller and still drinking formula. Dad told Molly we would go to Disney World and away we went. You were recovering from the chicken pox. Exhausting trip - but like always and like you still are - you enjoyed every minute. Mom's advise here - never take a non walking baby to a theme park.

3. I adore your sense of humour. You function like I do. Humour is your go to for stress reduction. You use it to break the ice with others. Sometimes you use it to cover your insecurities. Honey - hang onto that - it will be a device that will hold you together when it may seem like the world is coming apart. Maybe even someday - we will share those jokes that I refuse to share with you now.

4. You are secure in who you are. Really always have been. I cannot express how proud that makes me. You are beautiful inside and out.

5. You have chosen your friends well. I love those kids you hang out with. I love being around them. They are good kids. Always trust your gut about people - you will know.

6. Forgive. I have seen you forgive me and Dad. Molly too. I have also seen you forgive yourself. We all really screw up at times. Forgiving is always a part of life. Go easy on yourself. Go easy on others. But remember - forgiving is not the same as letting others run over you.

7. Always stand for what is right. Sometimes that is hard to do, but you are strong. You also have a good faith basis - you know what is right and fair.


8. I am so glad we don't have to fight about indecent clothing. I love the very respectful way you dress. It helps that everything is beautiful when it comes in a junior size 5.


9. You have always treated others with respect and integrity. Please continue that. If you are respectful most of the time others will respect you. Above all, conduct your life in a way that allows you to respect yourself.


10. Being intelligent is not a crime. I am glad you take pride in your studies. I am happy that you are ranked so well in your class. I know it takes a lot of work to be an athlete and a good student. We are proud of you and proud that you understand the need for all that effort.


11. When you were born - your Daddy bought you a ball. Damn, there are times that I wish it had been something else. But you are a natural athlete. Your abilities and your heart for your sports and your teammates, leave me in awe. Your discipline to improving your skills amazes me. Your committment is worthy of many peoples praise. I love being there on the sideline cheering you on.


12. You take adversity in stride. I will never forget the day you had you hand surgery after that injury. Although coach had given you a reprieve, when you woke up that afternoon all you said was "you are gonna take me to practice, right?" So I took you to practice. A surgical break - not one missed practice. Sitting there in the dugout - cheering on your team. Still the loudest one. Challenges are just that to you - something to overcome - a way to better yourself - to find another task you can do - or a way to accomplish what need to be done. A wonderful trait.


13. Sweet - kind. To kids, to adults, to animals. I have no words to describe how proud that makes me.


14. You got your Daddy wrapped around your finger. And you know it. That ain't a bad thing. When you finally go away to school I am not sure what I am going to do with him. Can I send him off with you? I love the close relationship that you two have. As you become an adult, go forth in your strengths but always know that your Daddy and I are right here. Cheering you on all the way, ready to pick you up and put you back on the path. We got your back.
15. Live out loud. God I love this picture. Wide open. Ready to go. Your personality was always this big. Your personality still is. Throw yourself into loving your God, loving others, loving life, loving yourself. Don't regret - it is wasted energy.


16. Happy Sweet sixteen beautiful Abby. God blessed us with you. You continue to bless us. I hope to celebrate so many more years with you. Hang on and enjoy the ride. It only gets better from here.

Love mom ----


Note - I will pass on any comments and birthday wishes to the Softball Princess.




5 comments:

Lannae Johnson said...

What a sweet post! Please do tell Abby happy birthday from the Johnsons - we'll be checking the road closely now!!!

Julie Ann said...

What wonderful thoughts from you! I hope Abby has a very happy birthday and that the celebration lasts all day!

Anonymous said...

Dear Sweet Abby,

HAPPY 16th BIRTHDAY TO OUR YOUNGEST GRANDCHILD!!!! God bless you today and in the years to come.
We love you much, G-Dad & G-Mother.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic list and of course, happy birthday to the Softball Princess! If my twins could match that list I would also be super glad!

ellen said...

Happiest of birthdays to you.
You would make any parents proud!