Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Texture


I love this texture. The stitch looks complicated. It's not. It is the result of a series of front and back post double crochet stitches. I'll be attempting an afghan using this stitch in panels along with some others. The texture and weight of this is phenomenal. I am in love.
Speaking of love. Thank you all so much for your comments to me this year. You have been a source of great inspiration, encouragement and support. You guys rock.
Today we are cleaning and purging at work - loads of fun (and loads to the dumpster). My friend JenB is having a bit of an inspiration crisis right now. I am tearing page after page from old magazines and literature before I have trucked it to the dumpster. Later - I'll be taking all these tear sheets and making her a bit of an inspiration card group. I am doing the same thing at home. As I was thinking about this project, came up with a bit of an idea. If you would like for me to send you a little packet of inspiration tear sheet images - drop me an email at teresahome@juno.com with your snail mail address and the words inspiration pack in the subject line and I'll create you a little package of cards too. These won't be fancy, just plain 3x5 cards with images and my handwritten words on them, blank on the back so you can use them for notes or thoughts of your own - even a grocery list or such. Maybe 10 in the pack. Lo tech - fun mail - a glimpse into a creative friend's world and thoughts or what struck me in a detail. I'll get to use some of my tear sheets - you get a little spare paper for your recycling bin. Please let me send you a little something. I get to have some fun punching and gluing and describing stuff.
I have been cleaning at home too. For years I have torn pages and stuffed them in a pile or boxes. As I am encountering these little piles, I am trimming and gluing them into simple (cheap) composition books along with comments about why I like a particular thing. I am not breaking these down into any more detailed organization pattern. I have several of these that I have filled through the years and I can spend hours going back through them when my inspirational well is dry. I can see the trends in color and styles change. I can see my likes and dislikes within the trends. I can also spot classic and timeless items that are really my true style. like a visual journal of sorts. Fun.
Tomorrow a recap of 2008 - a farewell letter to this year.
note - I emailed a query letter and some submission possibilities to the Where Women Create editor this morning. Wish me luck.
Have a wonderful day.

2 comments:

shrink on the couch said...

Your post is a reminder of how much cleaning I've got to do, and have been conveniently putting off .. for example, a giant pile of clothes that need folding. Argh. It won't get done sitting here. And yes, that is a beautiful crochet stich. I envy you your stichery know-how.

ellen said...

I do wish you luck and I also wish you a wonderful New Year filled with love, comfort and joy. I also send thanks to you for your support and help...helping this neophyte crocheter to learn new things, your words of encouragement and your just being "here" to help and support.
Dear Teresa..may your days be filled with all that you desire and may the whole world be absolutely inundated and overwhelmed with peace and goodness.
Sending love, e.