Friday, March 14, 2008

Help - i need ideas please

This will be explained in just a jif......

My buddy is giving away goodies at her place - go over and take a look. little boy things.

Now looking back to the inspirations post where I sketched the quilt submission for Quilting Arts magazine. You see the stone work sketched in on the right side of the drawing. I have finished the stained glass window section and started to assemble it all. That little bowl of pebbles has bcome a huge stumbling block for me. I just cannot figure out how to attach the dang things. The quilt stack is as follows - backing fabric - liner (salvaged felt from the inside of a sofa cushion) - screen wire mesh ( because the whole piece needs to support the weight of the little stones) - then the surface design elements.

I started using a mesh bag to attach the stones , but it looks strange. Then I tried soldering and adding loops to sew them own. There ain't enough money in the world to pay me to solder that many irregular shapes. I thought about glue of some sort, but I am afraid it will not hold. Then, I pondered wrapping the stones in fine gauge wire, but will that destroy the "look" of old stonework? HELP -- I know there is someone out there who can get past the mental block of this issue. Once I get this part complete the rest is easy peasy.

Thanks so much for the support you have already given me and thnak you in advance for the input here. Love ya'll lots.

Teresa

5 comments:

Darla said...

Hmmm, this is probably off the wall but here's what I thought of.

Could you glue the stones to some fine wire mesh (screen) and then sew (tack) that to the quilt? There's some pretty strong glue out there and if it was used between rock/wire it might hold pretty well.

Ok.. next! Hahaha.

Darla

Carrie said...

I was thinking the same thing as Darla.

You could use fishing line to wrap the stones, with loops on either end to sew down. I'd put a dab of glue on the fishing line to keep it in place.

Roxanne said...

I agree with your other commenters...there is some crazy strong glue out there. I'm thinking E6000 or some type of epoxy would work without getting too heavy. Good luck!!

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Howdy neighbor!! Didn't know you were out there. It's a mall world :)

Blessings~
Cathy

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

* "small world," . . . not "mall world"--OOPS! that's the opposite of hand made isn't it?!
C