Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Focus .......

John Wesley's Motto: "Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can"

The above picture is the group that went on the Jones Chapel UMC Winter Retreat Ski trip. The Yellow lightning bolts are my three monsters. The man at my address and the girls went while I worked for the weekend. Seems that they had a blast.


Miss MaryAnn - generous soul that she is - has a posting today that is well worth reading AND participating in. Not only is MaryAnn generous and caring herself - she is teaching that way of life to her daughter - something every parent should attempt to do.


I have often said that I believe in generosity - of my time and my resources. I donate to the American Cancer Society faithfully. I have participated in many many mission projects through school and through church. Cannot say no to a sweet little child at my door selling whatever. I have gifted many with materials made by me. The food bank and soup kitchen have been on the list for many years. Armed forces support is very important to us. School kits for many kids in our area who truly cannot afford supplies. This is a way of life for me and my girls.


I have also worked dilligently on making sure my kids understand that others are not as fortunate as we are and that is no reason to poke fun or malice towards them. See - in my teens I was one of those kids. My dad was killed in a job accident leaving a single mom with teenage girls. There was a delay in life insurance money and some of the money my parents had saved was tied up by the simple word "and" in the account set up. If we had not had generous friends and relatives we would have lost so much more than my dad. I have no regret for the suffering of that time - but I vowed that as long as I could - I would be generous to others.


Both of my girls have known this entire story, it is a part of who we are. They are nursery workers and teachers in the church. They have served homeless at the soup kitchen. They go to the nursing home. They have supported young girls who made bad decisions and wound up supporting a child of their own.


Philanthropy is a way of life - it is not something you do to gain attention for yourself. There is a local businessman who gives large amounts of money to organizations, but he then wants his name on the building. That aggravates me and my crew so much.


Philanthropy is a way of life - no one can tell you what to do or how much. It is personal and empowering no matter how little or how much as long as it is willingly accomplished.

Philanthropy is a way of life - and it does not necessarily mean giving of money. It can be volunteering your time and/or other resources. I have given many many of those beanie hats away and not looked back.

Philanthropy is a way of life - and it will repay you over and over again. The feeling of knowing you were able to be generous is empowering and at some point - maybe - you will be awarded the view of how your generosity impacted the life of some one else.

I don't need recognition for giving of my time or resources. I am happy to do this and I am trying to teach my kids about doing these things without that need as well.

I try to live John Wesley's motto in all areas of my life.

What about you?????

Have a wonderful day.

edited because I am really curious -- anybody already picked favorites from american idol? Before last night - I have never voted until that show and I voted for Chikezie. We have 4 favorites at our house - our vote from last night, Amanda, carly, and sweet little David.

2 comments:

Darla said...

Would you believe I have that quote pinned on my bulletin board right next to the computer? Wonderful words to live by.

Darla

Very Mary said...

Well said!