Monday, February 04, 2008

Top secret can be revealed

We get by with help from our friends. I know this first hand. I have been on the recving end of many many gestures of kindness. In times of stress and dismay. Of loneliness. Happiness. Sometimes "just because". My friends (and I include all of you bloggy buds) have supported me -- encouraged me - inspired me. I have tried to do the same.

My friend Becky has been diagnosed with an extremely rare form of cancer. There is no protocol for her treatment. They have no way to give her a prognosis for recovery. In all the research the many of have attempted, we have found only 3 cases worldwide and very little follow up on those 3 cases. To say this is scary is an understatement.

I am fortunate to have had support all along my journey as a survivor. It is now my turn to support a friend who is afraid. How do I reach out in a tangible way? Give her something to hold in her hands - something to focus on when those nights are long and dark (if you are a survivor you know what that means) - a small object of beauty when your world is bleak and grey - some beacon of hope. With art of course. And you mention it to five other creative friends - and they all jump on it.

The result - a gift package we call "Messages of Hope."

Becky has 35 radiation treatments to the side of her face. This group of friends, Nancy, Margaret, Marianne, Tracy, Jeanne, and myself, each put together pages of quotes and encouraging words. One to open the day of each treatment. A notebook with sheet protectors is included to compile these sheets.

I want to say a special thank you to Jen Gray and Corey Amaro for being so very generous with permission to use their words. Both of these women are incredible writers and so very encouraging in their messages. Corey has asked for prayers for her Father in the past few days and I will be praying for him along with so many others.


This is one of my pages. It says "i am hoping that peace, comfort, healing, forgiveness, hope, understanding and love find you..... at the exact moment you need it. JenGray" I actually hope this for all of my readers. God will send these things just when you need them. Just watch for them.

I did not buy one thing in this project. I was able to provide the others some of their supplies as well. Stash busting on top of creative support.

This next picture is my favorite of the ones I completed.


The "nest" was fun to make. I used a coffee cup sleeve - a doiley - some shredded sheet music, and ribbon. MaryAnn that paper and those blue feathers came just in time. The tickets in the first photo too. You are so good to me. The flowers at the top are from JenB - thanks for those as well. That package has been used from over and over.

We are giving this to Becky tonight - I'll update the outcome tomorrow.

Love all of you for reaching out to me. You have picked me up so many times. If I have failed to thank you - I apologize - I appreciate everything that each of you do.

Have a wonderful monday.

2 comments:

Darla said...

What a wonderful (and beautiful) thing you have organized for your friend. You are such a thoughtful person. It will support her in her dark moments I'm sure.

Darla

Very Mary said...

You know I send my best healthy vibes. Cancer is the worst of the worst and I never like to hear that anyone has it. Ever. Give her extra hugs from we other survivors.