Monday, February 18, 2008

S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y NIGHT...

As an 80's teenager, this was a favorite song. The BayCity Rollers - "gonna keep on dancing to the rock and roll. " Now I have that song stuck in my head and trying to stick it into yours. Was I successful?

This first picture has nothing to do with Saturday. It is all about Sunday. The Freshman dorm at Piedmont College in Demorest, Georgia. Coincidences abounded in our day there. We arrived early and enjoyed 50 repeats of the powerpoint video about the school. The President and his lovely wife were there (he is quite a character) - we met their dog "Rosie" complete with her ponytail to keep her hair out of her eyes - the chair of the math department looks like Sammy Hagar (I Can't Drive 65) - then went to lunch. We chose our table at random and ended up with the chair of the chemistry department as our table leader - quite the science nerd - but funny and likable - and he would be Molly's advisor because he is the Pharmacy advisor (Coincidence #1). Our table mates were a young lady (named Abby - same as little sis at our house) - and her mom. (coincidence 2). Then off to the seminars - separated. Dad and I hook up with some other parents and hit it off immediately. We decide that Molly and Allison (their daughter) need to be roomies. At the end of the day - we all are to hook up again - Molly comes into the room walking with another young lady - I point her out to the mom we have hooked up with - she laughs. Why - because - her daughter is the one Molly is coming in with - they have hooked up without us knowing and decided that if they are coming here - they will be roomies. (coincidence #3) .


Molly loved the campus. She says it "feels good". Meets our academic and student life requirements. She is already talking to the coach and has an opportunity to play volleyball. The funny thing - this was our lowest option for a school at the beginning of this search. We have others to investigate, but while that happens she feels like this is it. We will also go back during the week and meet with the coach.

Enough about that - Saturday - that is the real reason for this post. It was a gorgeous day - and we worked in the studio - all day. That never happens. We had no where for the kids to be on Saturday. I was up early and worked all day.

Since I still have not figured out how blogger loads pictures, I will simply describe these as I go.

Above is the floor color. Against that back wall. A deep rich grey - this is only one coat and we only painted 1/2 of the floor. I moved some things in here before Christmas and will have to rearrance in order to finish. I do have to touch up the bottom of the walls all the way across. Again - I love the look of a beach shack that this gives me. The floor will get another coat. I will be able to sweep and vaccum this clean - hopefully - very easily. (glitter fairies do make messes you know)

The man at my address put up a lot of the ceiling and hung two flourescent light fixtures. I can turn on the lights with a switch and I do not have to find the extension cord and a place to clip that halogen shop light. The plan is for two more lights to go in. There will be plenty of work light available.


The picture above is simply to record that green trim. Remember, we are reusing the materials we tore out of our house. Well see it - yes - the glow in the dark green stripe there - that is trimming my cork design wall. My bedroom was THAT color of green when we bought this house. The walls, the ceiling, the trim, and there was matching green and yellow shag carpet on the floor. I thought all that trim was gone and I did not take any pictures of that room - so when this appeared, I was determined to capture that memory.

The gable ends of the barn have been a disappointment to me. I really wanted to leave the rustic wood there, but the gaps in the siding prevented that. all of the caulk and spray foam are hideous and I just could not live with that. Then I saw Pam Garrison's closet and I knew what I was going to do.


My sweet sister gave me a huge box of vinyl wall paper scraps years and years ago. (You know I keep everything)


I had (have) several things to pull from that were meaningful to me. Since you will see this one from the entry to the studio, I am putting those things on display. A TO DO list that accompanied a package from JenB, A postcard and other things from the Professor , some ephemera from the Queen, and then some various cards and notes from people. Again, you all know I keep everything.

I also have a scripture that has meaning to me. the pages out of a deteriorating hymnal for Amazing Grace, The Old Rugged Cross (I used to hum these to the girls as I rocked them) and Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee (the first song Molly learned to play on the piano) and the dictionary page with the definition of absorb because I hope to becomed absorbed in my work when I move in there.

I worked on the tailgate of my truck for about 6 hours - the sunburn proves it. My Mom stopped by to help and visit. She brought Flopsy - her little dust mop dog - who had a blast just running around our feet. That was fun.

This is the outcome --------

Now doesn't that look better.

I will have to repeat the process in the front. However, since you will not be able to see as much of it, I will use bigger, less random pieces of wallpaper and gift wrap.


I am so happy with how it turned out. I can see a theme of collage beginning to emerge and I'll say, I would rather work with wallpaper paste then paint any day. There will be more of this process used in shelves and cabinets.

These studio is getting there quickly. Having lights will be wonderful and since the weather is nicer, I can work without freezing to death. It's happening.

Have a wonderful day.

4 comments:

Elizabeth Prata said...

I am so happy for you! The gable ends look Fantastic!! Congratulations to you for progress on the studio and also for the great day in Demorest.

Anonymous said...

It looks like you will have a wonderful studio when all is said and done. I adore the collage and I look forward to seeing the finished space.
Aloha!

Anonymous said...

wow! the studio is really coming along.. love the gable.. the visit to the school sounds as though it went really well .. when you meet with the coach ask him/her some real questions .. like how does he handle weight gain in his players... what is his approach to injury does he play hurt ? has he ever suspended or dismissed anyone from the team and why? People sometimes think that this might hurt the deal but you are interviewing him to.. you are going to entrust him with one of the most important people in your world so don't be shy... good luck..

Felicia said...

Wow! I kind of love it. What a really neat effect.