Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Never let an athlete assume you trainer position

Both of my girls are athletes. Year round athletes. We are hopeful for scholarships, but mind you, we will not save one penny on college. We have just paid for it one tank of gas, one practice, one piece of equipment, one ballfield hotdog, one bottle of Powerade at a time. It is not inexpensive to prepare a child for college athletics. However - the rewards are huge.

Discipline, organization, teamwork, relationships, self worth, ownership of success and failure, sportsmanship, grace, and dignity all come to mind as rewards (blessings) of our involvement in sports. It is a family pursuit. They play - Dad coaches - Mom mans the sideline and the concession stand (grunt work and a totally different post).Mom also writes most of the checks (another different post).

The result - well conditioned - well rounded - beautiful girls. AND one very fat Mom. The older athlete calls me yesterday and says that she and a friend are going to the track to run at 6:30 yesterday and they wanted me to go. (I did something right when two 17 year olds invite you to play with them) Molly said that she realized I feel better since my surgery - then in the way only a 17 year old can - she hit me squarely between the eyes. She said "just think how much better you will feel if you lose those extra 40 pounds." Thank you Miss Priss. Well she has taken over as my trainer.

Pictures have not one thing to do with the post - I just have a hard time posting without a photo.

Abby -


Molly

I was strolling along with the plan when the athlete said - "Mom you can walk really well, but how about we run the curves." Oh My God. Can you die from this activity? I'm thinking you can. I'm thinking I will. 2 miles of "interval training" later, I am bent over - coughing up the internal parts of my lungs, and she announces that situps - lunges - and push ups are a part of the schedule as well. I made it okay through the crunches - lunges oh sh*& - and lets just say how comical 7 girlie push ups were. To her and Nicole's credit - they did not laugh - however we all did when some one(one of them) decided a fart was in order during the sit ups.

I did receive a pep talk from another gentleman there - a fit - well toned - older man - 69 to be exact - encouraged me with his success story. He had lost 100 pounds in order to offset some of the effects of arthritis on his body.

Okay Molly - yes I feel better today - I think I would have more energy if I could move without pain. And no matter how many times you say it. THIS DOES NOT FEEL GOOD. And God Love you child - I'll be back out there tonite. Although you may have to physically drag me from the truck.

Okay Steve and Dean (coworkers from hell) - it was not really all that nice to laugh and sing "in your dreams" when this story was told this morning. But I expected that behaviour from both of you.

The goal for us is to be able to run a 5k. Somebody please help me - just how damn far is that.

Where was the Man while we were doing this - at the computer drinking from one of those poorly trained BudLight bottles - wonder where I'll find that one.

Have a wonderful day.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have beautiful girls--and you're right on about everything they have gained from being athletes. I totally get where you've been also--I've served on so many boards I can't keep track!

How great that you've got in-home trainers. Your investment is alread paying off--you have pro-bone personal trainers!

Fete et Fleur said...

I have to say that was a great read!! I soooo... understand your dilemma. The older I get the harder it is to move!!!! I'm being inspired by this though so keep the progress reports coming.

Hugs! Nancy

Sandra Evertson said...

Good for you! GO!
Sandra Evertson

Anonymous said...

You can do it ... you won't enjoy it at first but keep at it .. re: your comment on my blog ... I know what you mean .. the details of Meredith's death are out today and it does make you so angry and it is so sad.. I hope they are able to find the other young lady who is missing .. bad news to start the new year

Unknown said...

Good for you!!! A 5k isn't bad - we ran one in August. There's even added value - at the end you get free food from the volunteers! It really does get easier. Let me know how it goes.

Where was the beer bottle this time??

Mrs. G. said...

Go Maggie Grace!!!! Your girlies love you.

Very Mary said...

congrats on raising girls who love their mama.

Vallen said...

This just makes me so excited. I am so proud of you. You give me hope and inspiration. Your girls are lucky to have such a fabulous role model.

Loving Her Beautiful said...

Hi, Maggie,
I so appreciate your comments. I've always hoped that someday I'll have some wisdom to pass on to others.

Bravo on your determination. If it was me, I'd be hiding under the computer table with that one bottle.
Blessings,
BILL

Loving Her Beautiful said...

Hi, TERESA,
Sorry, I'm a dumpkopf! I know your name isn't Maggie. I've had one too many late nights.
BILL