Monday, January 28, 2008

Hello Monday



I read MaryAnn's weekend post with a mixture of respect, admiration, and amusement. I asked if I could steal her idea and share a bit more about me.
Blogging for me is predominantly a during the week activity. I work in a rather small environment. I am the showroom sales manager and I am "stuck" in this building whether we are busy or not. I answer the phone. Provide backup for the counter sales guys. Do a little bit of purchasing. But between all that - in the down time - I can read, comment, and write my blog. I leave the window open and can switch back and forth easily. My blog habit does not interfere with my activity. Many people read at their desk or hang out on the dock and chat. I choose the blog community. Once I get home - I may check my personal email but blogging - not normally. I have enough to do and in all honesty I really don't think about what you all are doing. To make my blog reading more efficient - I have created my Google reader account. It is easy to set up - use - and manage. I create in that time that I am at home and not working on those few homemaker details that are required.
I have expressed openly that I am not domestic. My Mom is not either. I can't place blame - the clutter just really doesn't bother me. I like stuff, the man at my address likes stuff, the children at my address like stuff. We live in a small two bedroom home. I have exactly 32 square feet of closet space (Four 4'x2' closets) I have created in all areas and have my stuff shoved everywhere. The studio space is not really a want - for everyone's sanity it is becoming a need. I don't mind putting things away - there is just no where to put them. The other effect of creating anywhere is that often projects must be left out for some reason or another and that adds to the clutter effect. Again the studio will give me the ability to hide those things.
I am spontaneous - I can be ready to go in a matter of minutes. My girls are the same way. This often digs into the time for cleaning - but not the time for creating - I just keep a project bag ready all the time.
I am the mother of three --- really two --- but doesn't that extra large 51 year qualify as a child? Both of mine are active, active girls. During the week last week we spent 9 evening hours at various events for them - guess what - the laundry waited. On Saturday - Molly and I left at 6am and returned home close to 10 pm - I made three beanie hats, but not one dish was washed. I also live 25 minutes from work - so I lose at least an hour every day in my commute. Again - an hour of time lost for bed making and sock mating. Sunday night is grocery night. I timed it last night - 20 minutes there - 45 minutes to complete the list - 20 mintes home - - more lost time - the dust bunnies use this time to hold secret planning meetings. They (those damn bunnies) are fully aware that the grocery schedule is regular so thet use the time wisely. I do not believe in ironing unless absolutely necessary. (toss things in the dryer with a wet towel and the clothes I like to wear look just fine)
I am almost the exact opposite of MaryAnn. I am sure I could do a much better job of being a housekeeper - but I would miss activities of the girls. I would miss coffee and conversation with friends. I would miss the sanity inducing qualities of creating. My family does eat together almost every morning - sitting in the living room because the dining table has a project on it. We generally eat together at least two or three nights a week (usually in a public venue). The side effect of being spontaneous - the girls enjoy knowing they can - at short notice - change my schedule and it is not a problem. We are close and have a great time on projects together.
Yes - I live my life on a wing and a prayer - there is no doubt about that. There are times that this stresses me to no end. But I see happy, well adjusted children who perform well in school. For the most part we have a happy, full, fun-filled lifestyle. Sure - the house could be cleaner - needs a coat of paint and a general spit shine - but my girlies are gonna be grown and gone soon. I'll work on it then.
Oh and like MaryAnn I do like some pretty undies. But I drive a big black Ford truck.
Have a wonderful day.
Now - having shared all that - she asks (begs) for comments about your life just to see if there is any semblance of normal here......
ps - I'm also over at CIP this morning - cruise over and take a look.

5 comments:

Fete et Fleur said...

I did see the movie and loved it! I think I just might do what Dawn suggested. They really are lovely and I can't seem to get myself to alter them in anyway.

Hugs! Nancy

P.S.
About the house keeping thing. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to go there. I need inner healing first! But, I identify with the lack of space thing. Oh!... to live in a much larger home with storage galore. That is the dream!

Elizabeth Prata said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth Prata said...

won't that be nice when the fancy new huge grocery store comes to the next town! Driving there goes from 25 min down to 10.

Felicia said...

I've got to admit that cleaning is pretty far down my list :)

Very Mary said...

I do not converse with friends or drink coffee. I am reclusive beyond words. Would you have guessed that?