Thursday, October 18, 2007

Going to a potluck...

Vallen is hostessing a potluck at her house today.

Now here in the south, potluck and church suppers (same thing) are routine. So routine that my girls will say "Oh boy, Miss Maudell will bring her pasta salad." I generally make homemade churned ice cream as well.

But for today, I am bringing my MARGARITA SALAD. The photo is from Dawn's blog - The Feathered Nest. Her recipe is a tiny bit different from mine, but like any salad recipe, everyone can "doctor" it up.



Heres my recipe - like emeril - I hardly ever measure any of this out.

1 small can Mexicorn - drained

1 small can precooked black beans - drained and rinsed

1/2 vidalia onion - chopped coarsely

4 roma tomatoes - diced roughly like the onion

1/2 block extra sharp cheddar cheese grated

1/2 block pepper jack cheese grated

seasonings to taste - salt - pepper - cilantro - thyme - lemon pepper (you pick)

2 ripe avacados peeled and diced

about 1/2 cup roasted red pepper - I like mine in longer strips

DRESSING

juice of 2 or three limes (Lemon works too)

olive oil

Garlic powder (or minced garlic)

Mix dressing (I shake it up in a jar) pour over the pile in the bowl. Mix up and enjoy. For my personal serving I add a jalepeno pepper slice or 2 and a sprinkle of feta chesse - just cause.

______________________________________________________

There also cannot be a southern style potluck without a good ole glass of sweet tea.

Thanks for having all of us over miss vallen - Let enjoy each others cooking and get to know one another over a really good meal.

Have a great day - 27 more til surgery for me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

May I please have some moh tea? Your salad looks wonderful.. thanks for posting it. re: surgery email me if you like been there done that K.

Vallen said...

The salad is a big hit. It is the perfect dish for a potluck. Mary Ann hasn't been by yet so there's still some sweet tea left. I better go get some more.

Erin Earls said...

Oh the salad looks so good! I will have some to that! And You mean that there is another kind of tea! I couldn't imagine any other that sweet tea!
Love Erin~

OldBagNewTricks said...

Margarita Salad? Who knew? Such a dainty dish to set before the Queen!! Looks divine -- I must make this. Yum.

Jenny

Mrs. G. said...

Oh this is simply delicious! And I'm with you on the jalepeno or two or three...

The Tiquehunters Wife said...

Sure looks good!
enjoyed my visit here today!
Thanks so much for takin the time to stop by the cabin!
Blessings to You! Claudia O.