Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Finally caught up on required items

This is the last "pressure" item. The blanket for Baby Carley. I put the finishing touches on this last night. It's smallish, but perfect for a carry about "blankie". A Nanny blanket style scrap afghan. It's really difficult to achieve this scrappy look (not even). I made solid squares until I didn't have enough yarn for a complete one, then mixed the yarns for multi-colored squares. Spread out a fleece blanket and move squares around until I'm happy. Get opinions from teenagers (thank you Abby) then move them some more. Once the teen and I are both happy - crochet them together.

There is an ongoing discussion between my mom and I about putting the squares together. She likes nice flat seams - so she only grabs one loop from each square and slip stitches them together. I almost always like a decorative raised seam - generally in a contrasting color - so I grab both loops and use a single crochet. She also leaves all of her "tails" to weave in at the end. Not me - that would drive me stark raving mad (and I am already way to close to that edge) - I weave each end in as I go. (I tell her my project always look neater during the process too.) See my method below - feedback please.





I gave my blog address to a couple of new people. A friend at church and a long time friend from high school. Somehow that makes me feel a tiny bit vulnerable. The one thing about blogging here - the reflection is most definitely my truest self. Sure I censor some of life out - but for the most part I am open and honest here. I am tickled to see comments - I love knowing that others have been here. I love the interaction that has developed between this "house" and others. I love follwing a link back and finding the gem (possibly a new friend) at the other end. I have developed a close circle of those that I visit and who visit me regularly, but I want to add to those people. Please - if you come by here - don't remain a stranger. Drop a comment - even if it just says hi and your email or a way to follow you back. I also love to know how you found me. (notice to rude crude or vindictive people - I'll delete any uglies) Anyway - to new readers - I am human and weak - I have good days and bad - somedays are 3 margarita days - some we just coast on through - please don't be offended - the bad days aren't directed at you (well they may be, but I'll try to be discreet) - enjoy the good days - enjoy the creations - bring blessings of your own to share. I want this place to feel like a friends house.

Have a great day.

3 comments:

Kerri Farley said...

I came over to you from another blog. I think your Baby Blanket is Absolutely Beautiful! I will be a frequent visitor - glad I found you.

Elizabeth Prata said...

I prefer the raised seams. I'm not just saying that. I think they add texture (feel-good) and something for the eye to rest on (look-good). It also looks more 'finished' keen you add a blazer to your outfit of jeans and cool shirt.

I know nothing of sewing and the weaving all at end or weaving as you go, but when I cook I clean up as I go. Leaving it all to the end would drive me crazy, too.

Elizabeth Prata said...

Oops, sorry! "It also looks more 'finished' keen you add a blazer " should actually read, "like when you add a blaxzr..." Too much cutting and pasting.