Thursday, August 23, 2007

Wagon Wheel how to

I have been asked by a friend to write the instructions for the fun little squares. Keep in mind this block can be made with any size yarns. The ones pictured are about 2 inches square and are made with the equivalent of one of the strands from acrylic worsted weight 4 ply yarn. Some of the labels on this "string" indicate that it was designed for punch embroidery.

This is all from the birthday purchases. I sorted this into three boxes - neutrals, brights, and specialty (they have a glittery string with them). Toss about 10 spools of the brights in a metal lunch box and take this everywhere. The first one was a nightmare, but once I figured out the instructions, they are simple to do.

three colors
A=center
B=accent band
C=outside edge

to start - with color A chain 8 - join with slip stitch to make a ring.

do not turn this block - it is crocheted in rounds.

Round 1: chain three (this will count as one double crochet) complete 15 double crochet in ring. join with a slip stitch to the top of the chain three. (total of 16 double crochet including the chain three)



Round 2: slip stitch in the space between the chain three and 1st double crochet. Chain 5 (this will count as a double crochet and a chain two - bear with me it will make sense). Complete 1 double crochet then chain 2 in each space between the previous row double crochet. At the end of the round slip stitch into the 3rd chain of the initial chain 5. This will give you 16 spaces.

Round 3: slip stitch into the 1st large space next to your hook. Chain 3 (counts as a double crochet.) complete two more double crochet in that space then chain 1. Complete 3 double crochet, 1 chain in each space around. Join with a slip stitch to top of initial chain 3. end off and cut yarn.

TIP - I use a single chain to end the yarn off.

TIP - I also weave in my ends as I go. I hate that part of the process so I minimize spending endless hours at the end of a project.

TIP - I am also making garlands of these tiny circles for Christmas gifts.



Round 4: Begins the conversion to square shape. With color B tie on in any chain 1 space. Chain 3 then single crochet into next chain 1 space (do this for 3 spaces total) on the 4th space chain 5 then single crochet into the next chain (makes the corner) complete this pattern all the way around giving you 4 evenly spaced corners. Join with a slip stich to the bottom of the first chain 3.

Round 5: slip stitch into the loop of created by the chain 3. chain 3 (counts as double crochet) complete 2 more double crochet in this loop. 3 double crochet in next two chain three loops. When you get to the corner chain 5 loop - do 3 double crochet -chain 2 - 3 more double crochet (this turns the corner) repeat patten all the way around. Join with a slip stitch to the top of the initial chain three. End off yarn color.

Round 6: With color C - join yarn in a chain two corner space. Chain three (counts as double crochet) Triple crochet in same space. Double crochet in same space. Double crochet in the space between each double crochet of the previous round. At the corner complete 1 double crochet, 1 triple crochet, 1 double crochet in that space. Continue around. Join with a slip stitch to top of initial chain 3. End off yarn.



These are great scrap projects. If you have any questions please email me at teresahome@juno.com. I can make one in about 15 minutes if everyone will just leave me alone. I will be posting photos of the projects as I get the first 50 made. (the doll blanket requires 50 of the size pictured here) Please show me yours as you complete them email me with a link and I will post the links.

Fun fun fun

Have a wonderful day.


No comments: