Friday, March 16, 2007

A blur

This is how my life feels - a lot of the time. From the moment I get up until I go to bed. I don't just sit still ever. This is why I sqeeze crafting into the late hours or into ball games. I often sit in the car for part of my lunch hour and get a few stitches in.

I have learned that things at my house can wait.

I look from the outside into blog world and sometimes think all of you have it SOOO together. I read websites like flylady and wonder if I am just lazy, since you will find my house in disarray a lot of the time.

Then I get a dose of my reality. Last night - Dad went to a ballgame with Abby, I went to a Soccer meeting for Molly's team and I found that I am not lazy. My name is mommy and I am focused on my children - and according to the input I got last night in talking to teachers and other parents. My girls are happy, well adjusted, respectful, and committed to excellence academically and athletically. They KNOW that they are loved and supported by us. And I accept that since I work full time outside the home and I mommy full time when I get home, some things have to slide, and that's okay.

Yes - I am overwhelmed at times - and yes the dust bunny brigade occasionally has the upper hand at my house. But - guess what - my children are loved and they know it. They know that one of us will be in the stands cheering them on. They know that if they need us it won't matter what time it is - we will come. They know that - they are so much more important than dishes or dusting or laundry. And they help catch all that up when we have those blocks of time.

They also know that their friends are welcome at our house and that if someting gets broken (priceless family heirlooms included) it is just a thing.

So yes we blow through the week going from place to place - activity to activity - and it all feels like a blur. But when I do get the opportunity to sit on the bench, I am hardly ever alone. One or both of my beautiful baby girls, usually slides in beside me, and we catch our breath and visit with one another, and those moments alone are worth everything.

We don't have a single ball activity Saturday - so will we sit still - no - gotta find a prom dress.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Don't forget - I am giving awy a birdie from yesterday's post. Cruise back and leave a comment there and I will pop him in the mail Monday evening.

The bench is a thrifted find. More on that for a later post. It sits at the end of the front porch and I snapped this shot as we breezed out of the driveway yesterday morning. So you are seeing the view I see as I leave every day.

8 comments:

Vallen said...

Sweet T I'm sorry you ever doubted. I would have (should have) told you that you are a whirlwind compared to this laidback California girl.

Jean said...

Good for you! It takes a long time for some people to learn this and by then it's too late. You are right on!

Anonymous said...

I love your words of wisdom! My Granmda is 86, and said to me last summer when my house looked like a tornadoe hit, if she had to do it all over agian, the housework and dust can wait. So I worry about my husband, my kids, and the dishes in the sink last! You are doing what you love! And your girls will remember that and not the spotless house!

Anonymous said...

Oh and I would love to enter the contest! I am on a bird kick!! Thanks!

Roxanne said...

Wise words from a wise woman. Thanks!

Raesha D said...

I always think of that quote when I start to feel like this....it won't matter what car you drove, how clean your house was, how much money you have...but it will matter that you made a difference in the life of a child or loved one. I'm completely paraphrasing there:):)

Natasha said...

Well said!! I know exactly how you feel, your priorities are in the right place!!

Anina said...

Wow, this was so inspirational! Before we know it our kids will be out of the house and we'll have all the time in the world to dust to our hearts' content.