Wednesday, January 17, 2007

An Update

Thank you everyone for your prayers and notes for encouragement. We are progressing.

My mom is now at my sister's (Tracey) house. She had the extra room and I will be driving over everyday to help with evening care. My adult nephew and my brother in law will be helping during the day and my sister's work schedule will allow her to cover a large part of the daily appointments and such.

She has partial paralysis of the left side of her body. Arm and shoulder, face and throat muscles are affected. Her foot was affected but with the "clot buster protocol" used on stroke patients most of those symptoms are gone. We are looking at 3 to 6 months of rehabilitation including physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech and swallowing therapy. Emotionally she is afraid of it happening again. So there will be some counseling to help deal with that.

The biggest danger now is the paralysis of her throat. If she gets on her back in her sleep, there is a risk of choking and asphyxiation (sp???) This is a problem because her natural sleep position is flat on her back. So we have elevated the bed and created "bolsters" to prop her up (much like you would do for an infant) and Tracey has put an infant monitor by the bed to listen for it.

I will be assuming the financial and business set up of selling her house and then protecting her assets should this all become a longer term deal. That means working with financial institutions, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, real estate, etc. And helping with other things as they crop up.

Needless to say, adding this to our already full plates in a sudden fashion has resulted in the feeling of being overwhelmed completely. But I have backed up emotionally and gone into "just do it" mode. As we get a plan together I should be able to regroup.

Last night I came home - slept in my bed - and emptied my suitcase from my trip. I looked at my family and the mountain of laundry and said simply. "Would somebody please just do the laundry." I absolutely could not deal with even looking at it.

I will be posting and there will be creative things. I was able to make a few ATC at the hospital. Will get that posted and then try to keep everyone updated.

Again thank you for your prayers. It amazes me that I could sense them and I know with all my faith that they have helped.

I hope everyone has a beautiful day.

PS. added at the request of an email. My mom's name is Naomi.

5 comments:

Vallen said...

I'm so glad your mom is out of the hospital. That's a good sign. I hope her recovery is very speedy. My love to all of you.

Roxanne said...

Thanks for the update. My prayers will continue to be with you during the weeks and months ahead. My brother suffered a stroke as the result of a car accident several years ago. Different situation, but a lot of the same issues, fears, etc. I have to say, it is amazing what the human body can do to heal itself. God created an amazing machine, and he knows how to fix it. Take care!

amy said...

thinking good thoughts for you and your mom!

Mippie said...

I'm so glad to hear that you mom is "home" at your sisters. I think, when possible, it's healing is so much easier in a comfortable, familiar place surrounded by love. I'm glad to hear you'll be trying to create also--I think it's important that the "caretakers" also take care of themselves! You will all continue to be in my prayers. xo-Melfie

Anonymous said...

Such a lovely name, Naomi.

You're doing great.