Monday, October 30, 2006

INPUT PLEASE


This is the beginning of Baby Charlie's (Charlize Kate) quilt. A little more contemporary setup. Like a child's drawing. For some reason the layout seems incomplete, but I am not quite sure what it is that is missing. I put this all together yesterday and spread it out on the dinig room table where I walk past it several times a day. I keep fiddling with the placement so I know I want it to have something else added. I am going to embroider "Charlie" and a heart on the tree trunk as if someone had carved it. I plan to quilt it in circles on the tree and the sun. Vertically on the trunk and in a wavy horizontal pattern on the grass and sky.

Help - do you think it's complete looking? Or does it need something added? If something needs to be added then what? Should I quilt it in coordinating threads to their background? Help?????

Thanks in advance for your input.

Have a beautiful day.

3 comments:

Jean said...

I am not a quilter but I do agree that it needs something. Maybe some birds, squirrels or maybe even some apples on the tree. I really like the concept and the fabrics.

amy said...

I'm usually a less is more kinda girl...i really love this! I think once you get you're quilting on there it would look so beautiful and would be the only finishing touch you'd need! I can't wait to see it finished!

Anonymous said...

I did something a little similar (only in the sense that there was a tree!) and found that including figures really helped. On one picture I included a dog and in another the sitting figure of a man holding a baby (Jim and Bella), leaning against the tree. Maybe this quilt (which is already beautiful!) would look good with a figure in it. I find that it just gives the image a sense of movement and that that brings it to life. Although I think that if you left it as is, it is still gorgeous.

Here's a link to my original post if you want to see it.
http://treefalldesign.typepad.com/tree_fall/2006/01/dogs_and_trees_.html